Complementics Network GDPR Policy
Last updated: September 29, 2020
Complementics and those using our services to provide users with certain information about the processing of their “Personal Data”. “Personal Data” is a term used in Europe that means, generally, data that identifies or can identify a particular unique user or device – for instance, names, addresses, cookie identifiers, mobile device identifiers, precise location data, and biometric data.
If you have any questions about Complementics’s data practices in the context of the GDPR, you may contact our Data Protection Officer at [email protected]
To comply with the GDPR, we provide the below representations and information, which are specific to persons located in EEA countries or Switzerland (so please don’t rely on the below, if you’re not):
Legal grounds for processing your Personal Data
The GDPR requires us to tell you about the legal basis we’re relying on to process any Personal Data about you. The legal basis for us processing your Personal Data for the purposes set out in Sections 2 and 3 above (and Section 5 as to our corporate customer data) will typically be because:
- You provided your consent. In order to provide our services that involve the use of precise location information related to other Personal Data, (and to store and gain access to information stored on your device such as Advertising IDs), we rely on your consent. To obtain this consent, we rely on our own compliance steps and our web and mobile partners’ compliance steps, designed to ensure that consent is collected and passed on to partners, and to ensure that we only facilitate the collection of legally obtained data. We may choose to obtain consent in other cases as well, in which case we will adhere to applicable laws relating to such consent and its withdrawal. We also seek to obtain consent for certain partners with whom we work, who are often independent data controllers. We list these partners in our List of Partners, below.
- The processing is in our legitimate interest. In some cases, we use legitimate interest as a legal basis for processing Personal Data. We rely on legitimate interest when we use Personal Data to maintain the security of our services, such as to detect fraud or to ensure that bugs are detected and fixed. We also rely on legitimate interest when we use our own customers’ data (or Visitors’ data) to communicate with them about our Services or analyze our own Site activity.
- Contractual Relationships. Sometimes, we process certain data as necessary under a contractual relationship we have (such as our customer records and contact information).
- Legal Obligations. Finally, some processing of data may be necessary for us to comply with our legal or regulatory obligations.
Transfers of Personal Data
When we transfer Personal Data outside of the EEA or Switzerland, we take steps to make sure that appropriate safeguards are in place to protect your Personal Data. In general, our data transfers of our Personal Data are safeguarded by European Standard Contractual Clauses and Data Processing Agreements where this is required by European Data Protection Law. Feel free to contact us at the contact information below for more information about the safeguards we have put in place to protect your Personal Data and privacy rights in these circumstances.
- Personal Data Retention: As a general matter, we retain your Personal Data for as long as necessary to provide our Services, or for other important purposes such as complying with legal obligations, resolving disputes, and enforcing our agreements. We generally retain Advertising IDs on the following schedule: we render Advertising IDs inactive for purposes of providing our services within 13 months from receipt of consent (or from any “refreshed” consent permitting us to continue to retain information), provided that we may retain data for longer periods, as needed, where we have fully de-identified such data in a manner so that it cannot be linked to Personal Data. Please note that we may retain this (and other) Information whenever and so long as we have a significant legal or operational need to do so, such as for auditing, corporate record-keeping, compliance accounting or security, and bug-prevention purposes.
Your Rights as a Data Subject
The GDPR provides you with certain rights in respect of Personal Data that data controllers hold about you, including certain rights to access Personal Data, to request correction of the Personal Data, to request to restrict or delete Personal Data, and to object to our processing of your Personal Data (including profiling for online ad targeting).
- Right to Access: If you wish to exercise your right to access Personal Data we process as a data controller, you may do so by requesting access through the e-mail address [email protected] When we receive your request, we will provide you with current, step-by-step instructions to follow in order to obtain access. As we are required to verify a requestor’s identity prior to providing Personal Data, we will assess requests to exercise certain data access rights on a case-by-case basis: in doing so, we consider (a) the difficulty of verifying whether data that we hold and data we have linked to it truly and solely belongs to the data subject making the request, along with (b) the potential adverse effects on disclosure of personal data to the wrong individual. Because such improper disclosure would likely adversely affect the privacy rights and freedoms of the data subject, we may limit the Personal Data we make available. Please note that we will only grant requests for access for Personal Data for which we are a data controller, as explained further in sub-section (e) below. Where we act as a processor for one of our customers, we will refer your request to that customer. Please identify the customer your request refers to (if possible), to simplify this process.
- Right to Correct: If you wish to exercise your right to correct Personal Data, you may do so by contacting us at the contact information below.
- Right to Erasure: You also have the right to obtain the erasure of Personal Data concerning you that we hold as a controller. The above opt-out process satisfies this right. When a user opts-out through our partners (or through mobile device settings), and we receive this signal, we no longer use Personal Data to provide our advertising services. We will also manually delete your Personal Data if prefer that we do so; please contact us and email your device to [email protected] for further instructions if you wish to exercise this right manually. Please note, however, that we may retain copies of certain Personal Data on inactive or back-up files, for our certain important internal and purposes, such as auditing, accounting, and billing, legal or bug-detection, for as long as is necessary to fulfill those purposes.
- Right to Lodge Complaints. You have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority. However, we hope that you will first consult with us, so that we may work with you to resolve any complaint or concern you might have.
Complementics sometimes is a data controller and sometimes is a data processor. EU data protection law makes a distinction between organizations that process Personal Data for their own purposes (known as “data controllers”) and organizations that process Personal Data on behalf of other organizations (known as “data processors”). As noted above, we are not always a data controller of the data in our possession but are sometimes a data processor for other companies such as our Trusted Partners (for instance, when we receive or process personal data on behalf of our Trusted Partners). In such cases, we may direct your inquiry to the relevant data controller, since data controllers are the ones with primary responsibility for your Personal Data.
If you would like to make an inquiry regarding our Trusted Partners and Service Providers, please email us at [email protected]
Trusted Partners: Unacast.com • [email protected]
Email: [email protected] | Telephone: 312-477-7313 | Address: 180 N. Michigan Ave Suite 1400, Chicago, IL 60601
© 2020 Complementics